Note: This page is under continuing update. Check back to see more of the lies debunked.
American Family Association and the 'Gay Nostradamus'
The AFA is one of the most notorious of the groups spreading lies and information in order to create fear among those gullible enough to believe them. [An example of the gullible flock may be found here.] In fact the AFA is responsible for the new 'code' meaning of the word 'family' ... 'anti-gay'.
In June, 2004, they resurrected Michael Swift's satire in a mass mailing. This time they attempted to cast it as some sort of Nostradamus-like prophecy. Apparently the "Left Behind" series inspired them to present this satire as prophecy in order to scare their gullible followers.
Note how their annotations conveniently misrepresent a number of things, not the least of which is that the disclaimer appears in the Congressional Record. It doesn't.
Homosexual activist predicted takeover of nation
American Family Association,
In 1987, gay revolutionist Michael Swift accurately outlined the homosexual movement in America. In less than two decades, Swift's predictions have come to pass.
When first published, American Family Association reprinted it in the October 1987, edition of the National Federation for Decency (NFD is now American Family Association (AFA)) Journal. Ironically, many in the Christian community scoffed at the contention that the homosexual movement could actually attain the article's outrageous goals.
In the text below are the ominous predictions by Michael Swift, "Gay Revolutionary," printed in bold type, from The Congressional Record, first printed in Gay Community News, February 15-21, 1987. Examples of these fortellings coming to pass follow each paragraph:
1. Although heterosexuals outnumber homosexuals by a ratio of at least 20 to 1, homosexual pedophiles commit about one-third of the total number of child sex offenses.
2. Over 1,700 Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) clubs exist in public schools in the United States. GSA is a project of the The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN).
In 1996, homosexual activists organized a Day of Silence for the public school setting. More than 1,900 schools across the country participated in 2003. Students gained endorsements from school administrators, who allowed them access to PA systems, bulletin boards, and "Safe Rooms."
In August, 2003, New York announced it will open the first taxpayer-funded "gay" school.
[Harvey Milk High School is a safe school for children who have suffered extreme harrassment in schools the AFA would approve of.]
3. In July 2002, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America announced a new policy allowing homosexuals to participate in after school mentoring programs without parental notification.
4. In 1993, President Bill Clinton signed an executive order, allowing homosexuals to serve in the military. Until the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law, homosexuals were automatically discharged from the armed services.
5. The National Organization for Women is the largest feminist organization in this country working for lesbian rights. The day-in, day-out activism of NOW's quarter of a million members and hundreds of chapters strongly favors same-sex marriage laws.
[Perhaps one of these days the AFA will understand that NOW's membership includes both men and women concerned with equal treatment under the law for all people. They do not limit themselves to women's issues. NOW's official priorities are pressing for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that will guarantee equal rights for women; achieving economic equality for women; championing abortion rights, reproductive freedom and other women's health issues; supporting civil rights for all and opposing racism; opposing bigotry against lesbians and gays; and ending violence against women. ]
The YWCA announced it hired feminist Patricia Ireland as its new chief executive officer. Ireland has admitted to engaging in lesbian activities.
6. On June 26, 2003, the United States Supreme Court ruled sodomy laws were unconstitutional in its 6-3 ruling in the Lawrence v. Texas case. This ruling subsequently struck down similar laws in 16 other states.
[There are a few interesting details about the Texas sodomy law that the AFA has 'forgotten' to mention. Read about them here.]
Twenty-eight states and over 400 U.S. cities have passed laws protecting the homosexual lifestyle. In addition, 400 colleges, universities,and public schools now offer domestic partner benefits to homosexual employees, as does most of the Fortune 500 companies.
[Imagine that! They're threatened by non-discrimination laws and by employers who offer equal pay for equal work.]
Currently, homosexual activists seek to legalize same-sex marriage.
7. CBS reality television show Amazing Race 4 introduces two gay men as "The Married Couple." When questioned about the "married" men, CBS responded, "They're married and they're gay. Is there an issue?"
[Well c'mon, guys, just what is the issue anyway?]
8. In 1999, a Temple University junior was involuntarily committed to a state mental hospital after he initiated a Christian response to a blasphemous play performed on campus. The play, Corpus Christi, portrayed Jesus Christ as a homosexual.
[This is a reference to an individual named Michael Marcavage, the Philadelphia area's equivalent to Fred Phelps of godhatesfags.com.]
In 2002, a 19-year-old homosexual savagely beat an elderly woman to death simply because she questioned him about his orientation.
Numerous college and university codes prohibiting "hate speech" have been struck down by the courts. Yet several state-passed hate crimes bills will allow speech to slowly creep into them.
9. The National Endowment for the Arts gave a grant to a New York group called Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, Inc. and that part of the funding was used to create an obscene play called Broadway Bares XII: A Comic Strip. This play featured homosexual super heroes who stripped off their clothing during the play.
In 2003, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Arlington were named as cities which would host "Puppetry of the Penis performances, in which males manipulated their genitals on a public stage.
Terrence McNally’s Corpus Christi depicts Jesus as a homosexual who has sex with his disciples, and then is crucified for being ‘king of the queers'.
10. By obtaining control of mass media markets, homosexual activists have succeeded in removing "negative" language from American society. Queer has become "gay," homosexuality has become "sexual orientation" and "alternative lifestyle," and sex-mate is now "domestic parter."
In July, 2003, NBC/Bravo introduces all gay programs Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Boy Meets Boy. Normally sensitive corporate advertisers like Procter & Gamble jump on board because of the show's high ratings.
Prime-time shows like Dawson's Creek and Will & Grace project homosexuality as a normal lifestyle.
11. One website lists over 200 open homosexuals who have been elected to high offices and judgeships. They include Senators, Representatives, and court judges.
12. Lesbian film producers introduce "That's a Family!". This video redifines family to include homosexual couples. The National PTA, the Girl Scouts of America, and YWCA endorse its showing to children and in public forums.
By infiltrating public shools, homosexual activists continue their "scorched-earth policy to circumvent the definition of "family." In 2001, Homosexual targeted Massachusetts schools with a conference designed to indoctrinate children with pro-homosexual themes.
In 2002, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) insisted that new laws should be passed allowing homosexual couples to adopt children.
That same year, with the financial support of corporations, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America required chapters to allow homosexuals to serve as after-schools mentors without parental knowledge.
13. Swift missed the mark on this prediction. Instead of shutting down churches, the homosexual movement has infiltrated them. Some denominations now accept and celebrate homosexuality to the point of ordaining homosexual pastors and ministers. Most notably, the United Methodist Church and the Episcopal Church have ordained or appointed homosexual leaders.
In June, 2004, a United Methodist Student Leadership Conference served rainbow-colored bread at a communion service.
14. Catholic Priests, over the past several years, have been accused and charged with pedophilia and pederasty, a common "Greek passion."
15. Homosexual groups attacked Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum for comments exposing homosexuality. So committed to their agenda, homosexual activists rabidly attack anyone who voices opposition to their lifestyle or agenda. Fear and intimidation have silenced many elected officials.
16. Many homosexual activists have "outed" great historians such as Abraham Lincoln, Walt Whitman, William Shakespeare, Eleanor Roosevelt, and T.S. Eliot.
17. Homosexual activist groups use a "scorched earth" policy to force their agenda on America. Groups like ACT-UP encourage members to "Earn Your Attitude" through public demonstrations, yelling, civil disobedience, and to be "united in anger." Another suggestion by homosexual activists suggests using "blood terrorism," the act of HIV-AIDs victims deliberately donating blood to the American Red Cross.
Footnote 8 refers to an incident in which Nicholas Gutierrez murdered Mary Stachowicz. At the time, Nicholas Guttierez was 19 years old. He had been a ward of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services since his biological family ejected him because of his sexual orientation. Mary Stachowicz was a 51-year-old woman who worked in the same funeral home where Nicholas Gutierrez worked. She went to Nicholas' apartment above the funeral home and attempted to pressure him into changing his sexual orientation. Nicholas said he panicked because Mary Stachowicz reminded him of his mother's pressuring before she threw him out of the house.
Why doesn't the article mention the complete story? Why do they 'omit' details like the names of the involved people? Could it be that they don't want their gullible followers to know these things?
And finally, how many murders of gay people have been justified by religious extremists under the guise of 'gay panic'?
You'll find more information about this incident here and here. This page on the Army of God website contains a number of amusing attempts to equate this incident with the murder of Matthew Shepard. The Army of God, BTW, is a terroristic anti-gay, anti-abortion group. Perhaps its most notorious member is Eric Rudolph, the man who hid for 5 years when wanted for bombing two abortion clinics, a gay club in Atlanta, and for the Atlanta Olympics bombing.
Why does the American Family Association support the message of a terroristic group?
Michael Marcavage is the Philadelphia area's equivalent of Rev. Fred Phelps of godhatesfags.com. Marcavage and his organization, Repent America, are under the protection of the American Family Association which provides legal services to defend Marcavage in court. In the incident this footnote alludes to, Marcavage demanded that Temple University build him an outdoor stage to present a play. He wanted this stage so he could protest another play on campus. When the university told him they couldn't do such a thing he went off the deep end and locked himself in a bathroom. When he finally emerged from the bathroom he didn't look well. He was staggering. Concerned for his health university psychologist and asked for a mental health observation out of concern that he might be a danger to himself.
He was permitted to to hold a two-hour demonstration, with preaching and gospel singers, outside the Student Activities Center with loudspeakers provided by the university, led smaller protests during both nights of the play, and led a campus Christian rally.
Despite all of that the American Family Association mounted an attack on Temple University. "What happened to Michael Marcavage should shock all Americans," the American Family Association of Tupelo, Miss., declared in one of its newsletter. And to this day they're misrepresenting the actual facts of this incident.
Why must the American Family Association be so untruthful?
There's lots more if you want to keep reading. However, I suspect you've seen the light by now. There was nothing 'new' about the Big Brothers - Big Sisters non-discrimination policy in 2002. It had already been in existence for 25 years. As stated in their volunteer policy, "In February 2002, the National Board accepted the membership’s desire to reaffirm our non-discrimination policies and practices, which is reflected in the 2002 version of our Standards and Practices effective July 1."
The organization's policy also states, "Our volunteer selection policy is to honor the preference of the parents or guardians who bring their children to us for services. Parents approve the proposed match."
Yet the American Family Association, Focus on the Family, and other 'christian' groups continue the lies. Just one example may be found here.
The BBBSA website cites a 1992/93 study—the first nationwide study of the mentoring organization—involving some 959 boys and girls, ages 10 through 16 in eight states. "Half the children were matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister, while the other half were assigned to a waiting list, or control group. On average, the matched children met with their Big Brothers or Big Sisters about three times a month for at least a year. And the results? Researchers found that 18 months later, the Little Brothers and Little Sisters were:
- "46 percent less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- "27 percent less likely to begin using alcohol
- "53 percent less likely to skip school, and 37 percent less likely to skip a class
- "more confident of their performance in schoolwork
- "less likely to hit someone, and
- "getting along better with their families."
Do these results sound like the work of a dysfunctional organization?
EVIDENCE IN SUPPORT OF LIFTING THE BAN
A growing body of social science evidence suggests that the presence of gays in the military does not undermine readiness, morale or unit cohesion. This evidence also indicates that lifting the ban on gays in the U.S. military will not cause disruption within our armed forces.
Several additional published studies, including those commissioned by the Defense Department, support the notion of allowing gays to serve:
A 1993 Rand Report provided an exhaustive study on gays in the military and concluded that the U.S. military could lift the gay ban without detriment to readiness. The Personnel Security Research and Education Center (PERSEREC) produced two reports (one each in 1988 and 1989) concluding that there was no empirical evidence to support the gay ban, nor is their any data to suggest that gays differed from heterosexuals on any performance measure.
Gay and Lesbian Americans are patriotic and want the right to serve – and sacrifice for – our nation in the armed forces.
According to the Urban Institute’s Population Studies Center, there are one million gay and lesbian Veterans of the U.S. military.
There are an estimated 50,000+ gay U.S. troops currently serving on active and reserve duty.
Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell limits the ability of lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans to serve in the military by prohibiting them from living their lives honestly or having relationships. Those who do, risk investigation and involuntary discharge from military service.
Almost 10,000 gay service members, three to four every day, have lost their careers since Don’t Tell became law in 1994. Since September 11, 2001, the military has investigated and discharged gay Arabic Linguists (as well as Farsi, Chinese and Russian linguists), despite reports by the General Accounting Office (GAO) that the military and the federal government face a crisis in their shortfall of linguists to translate and interpret Arabic in our nation’s ongoing War on Terrorism.
THE EXPERIENCE OF GAYS AND LESBIANS SERVING IN OTHER MILITARIES / ORGANIZATIONS
Twenty-four foreign militaries – including Israel, Great Britain and Canada – have lifted their gay bans with no difficulties.
American soldiers in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom have served alongside foreign troops from countries without gay bans, almost certainly including some openly gay foreign troops.
America’s other national security agencies do not discriminate against gays. Open gays serve in the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and National Security Agency (NSA).
American troops are increasingly also serving alongside elements of federal, state and local law enforcement entities that do not discriminate against gays as part of Homeland Security operations. These entities include the Transportation Security Agency, the Secret Service, Drug Enforcement Agency, and border patrol agencies.
In December 2003, a CNN/Gallop Poll found that 78% of Americans believe gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military. 91% of young people ages 18 - 29 believe the ban should be lifted. Public opinion polls indicate a majority of Americans favor allowing gays to serve in uniform. A Fox News poll conducted in August 2003 shows that 64 percent of Americans now favor allowing gays to serve openly in the military, up from 56 percent in a similar poll taken in 2001.
COST OF Don't Ask, Don't Tell
According to the General Accounting Office (GAO), American taxpayers spend more than $30 million each year to train replacements for gay troops discharged under the policy. The total cost since Don’t Tell was implemented is over $250 million dollars. The actual cost is significantly higher, as this figure does not include administrative and legal costs associated with investigations and hearings, security clearances, and military schooling of gay troops such as pilot and linguist training.
The current military code of conduct has sufficient provisions that would allow for gays to serve openly. DoD merely needs to apply the rules in a fair and even handed manner, without regard to the sexual orientation of the service member.
The AFA strangely leaves out the important details about Patricia Ireland's 2003 appointment as CEO of the Girl Scouts of America. They make it sound like she's still in that position and that their followers should be afraid, very very afraid.
"We fear the focus will now become homosexual indoctrination among young girls," says Don Wildmom, Chairman of American Family Association (AFA). "Lesbianism, cross-dressing, and abortion are all part of Ireland's history. It will soon become YWCA's present."
And why aren't they proud enough of their vicious campaign to tell you that it resulted in Ireland's removal from the position? Could it be that they want their gullible followers to think she's still there? There have been three different sodomy law in Texas. The first was passed in 1850. It forbade anyone to engage in anal sex and bestiality. In 1943 a new law was passed and included a ban on oral sex between any two individuals.
With the emergence of the gay rights movement, the purpose of the laws changed. They became a tool for the repression of gay people. Several states amended their laws to specifically prohibit oral and anal sex only between same-sex couples, Texas among them.
The Texas law was changed in 1973. It removed the ban on bestiality and on heterosexual oral and anal sex. This is the law challenged in Lawrence v Texas, a law that permits 'sodomy' between heterosexuals but not between homosexuals. This is a law that targeted homosexuals, criminalizing them for doing things that were perfectly legal for heterosexuals.
A detailed amicus brief documenting the way sodomy laws in the US evolved into an unprecedented form of discrimination against homosexuals during the 20th Century is available here.
Why does the AFA want to keep the truth about sodomy laws hidden from its gullible followers?